Reflections on 2018
As 2018 comes to a close, it’s a great time to reflect on what a wonderful year it has been for the Grayslake Community Park District. We are so grateful to serve such a vibrant and active community.
A few highlights from 2018:
- Replaced the playground at Cambridge Park
- Renovated the basketball courts and installed pickleball courts at Sunrise Park
- Activated lightning detection/warning system at Alleghany Park
- Resurfaced and installed new basketball standards at Tooterville Park
- Resurfaced a large portion of the Central Park Path, as well as the Haryan Farms bike path
- Completed the Chesapeake Pond 2 Shoreline Stabilization Project, funded in part by a grant from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
- Converted interior lights at the Recreation Center to LED, thereby saving on energy costs
- Installed interior and exterior security cameras at the Grayslake Golf Course
- Continued to maintain a fiscally responsible, conservative budget to maintain the Park District’s healthy
- In partnership with the Lake County Health Department, successfully launched GO Grayslake to promote healthy living and encourage the community to walk for 30 minutes a day
As we look ahead to 2019, here’s a sneak peek at some projects on the horizon:
- Replace the playground at Sunrise Park and add a Gaga Pit, funded in part by a $46,000 Grant from GameTime
- Expansion of Jones Island Parking Lot
- Website redesign to make the site more user-friendly and easier to access from mobile devices and tablets
- Continue to evaluate and develop new and innovative Recreation programs for all ages
- Expand upon the success of GO Grayslake and create more opportunities for our residents to stay active and healthy throughout the year
- A Grayslake Park District exhibit will be featured at the Grayslake Heritage Center and Museum from January through November 2019
Also, in 2019 the Grayslake Park District will be celebrating 60 years of providing parks and recreation opportunities to the Grayslake community. We hope you’ll join us for the activities we have planned to celebrate our 60th Anniversary!
In Loving Memory
A beloved member of the Grayslake Park District family, Ms. Barb, passed away Thursday, August 9, 2018 surrounded by her family. Barb Butler was a dedicated part-time employee who served in a variety of roles during the 17 years she spent working at the Park District. She served as the Camp Director for Go Girls Go which she was passionate about because it gave her the chance to motivate young ladies to be physically active, make healthy lifestyle choices, and to be self-confident. Ms. Barb was an avid runner, swimmer, and all-round fitness enthusiast. She touched many lives throughout Grayslake and she will always remain a special member of our Park District family. Ms. Barb put her heart and passion into every day and she will be truly missed.