GO Grayslake is a community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Grayslake Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO Grayslake movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main goal is to get moving!
GO GRAYSLAKE COMMUNITY WALK ON MAY 5
GO Grayslake Community Walk on Sunday, May 5 at 11am. Help us kick off the spring walking season with a 1.5 mile walk in Central Park!
Over 300 people walked with us at the GO Grayslake kickoff event last May. Can you help us top that turnout? Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to join us for a walk in the park!
Wear your GO Grayslake t-shirt to the walk and receive a FREE pair of GO Grayslake sunglasses! If you don’t have a shirt yet, a FREE GO Grayslake shirts will be available to the first 100 people to arrive (while supplies last).
Do you want to host a table for your local business, organization or community group at the Community Walk? We’d love for you to join us, so we’re inviting local organizations to have a table or booth at no charge! Please fill out the Application Form and we’ll be in touch with details.
SUMMER WALKING EVENTS
- GO Grayslake Walk in the Park on Wednesday, June 19 at 12pm in Central Park.
- GO Grayslake Chalk the Walk on Friday, July 12 at 10am in Central Park. Spread joy, optimism and inspiration through the magical power of sidewalk chalk! Chalk will be provided you so can write or draw inspirational messages on the path and then we’ll take a 30 minute walk around Central Park!
- GO Grayslake Storywalk on Thursday, Aug. 15 at 10am in Central Park. Listen to a story while you get some exercise! We’re teaming up with the Grayslake Area Public Library to walk around the park while reading a story together.
- GO Grayslake Dog Days of Summer on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 5:30 at Alleghany Park.
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO Grayslake simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO Grayslake t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to email@example.com for a chance to be featured on the Grayslake Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
- Find nearby walking events hosted by other GO communities on the GO Lake County website.
TAKE THE SURVEY
If you’ve joined us for a GO Grayslake Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.
TELL ME MORE!
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Dana Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 223-7529.