GO GRAYSLAKE is a new community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Grayslake Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO GRAYSLAKE movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main mission is to get moving!
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
A Walk in the Park
Throughout the summer, we’ll be hosting a few casual walks at different locations around Grayslake. We hope you’ll join us during the lunch hour or in the evening as we walk our way to better health!
- A Walk in the Park on Wednesday, July 18 at 4pm. Meet at the Grayslake Golf Course and we’ll explore some of the great walking trails nearby!
Dog Days of Summer
Our next large community walking event will be the Dog Days of Summer on Wednesday, Aug. 8 at 5:30pm in Alleghany Park. Bring your dog or grab a neighbor and join us for a walk in the park!
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO GRAYSLAKE simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Invite your family, friends and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO GRAYSLAKE t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to email@example.com for a chance to be featured on the Grayslake Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
TAKE THE SURVEY
If you’ve joined us for a GO GRAYSLAKE Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.
TELL ME MORE!
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Dana Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 223-7529.