GO Grayslake is a community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Grayslake Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
Walk With Us
The first stage of the GO Grayslake movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main goal is to get moving!
You can GO Grayslake on your own or join us at an upcoming community walks.
Fall Walking Events
Meet at the Recreation Center (240 Commerce Drive) for our fall walking days! Walk outside if it’s a nice day and if it’s too chilly, we’ll walk in the gym.
- GO Grayslake Walking Club – Thursday, Oct. 31 at 1:15pm
- GO Grayslake Walking Club – Thursday, Nov. 14 at 1:15pm
- GO Grayslake Walking Club – Thursday, Dec. 12 at 1:15pm
Benefits of Walking
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
How Can I Get Involved
- Nominate someone to be the GO Grayslake Walker of the Week! If you have a friend or neighbor who motivates you to keep moving, nominate them to be recognized for their walking prowess on the Grayslake Park District’s social media pages.
- Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO Grayslake t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and use #GOGrayslake when you post it to social media or message it to us on Facebook or Instagram.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
- Find nearby walking events hosted by other GO communities on the GO Lake County website.
Take the Survey
If you’ve joined us for a GO Grayslake Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.