GO Grayslake is a community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO Grayslake movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main goal is to get moving!
SUMMER WALKING EVENTS
- GO Grayslake Walk in the Park on Wednesday, June 19 at 12pm in Central Park.
- GO Grayslake Chalk the Walk on Friday, July 12 at 10am in Central Park. Spread joy, optimism and inspiration through the magical power of sidewalk chalk! Chalk will be provided you so can write or draw inspirational messages on the path and then we’ll take a 30 minute walk around Central Park!
- GO Grayslake Storywalk on Thursday, Aug. 15 at 10am in Central Park. Listen to a story while you get some exercise! We’re teaming up with the Grayslake Area Public Library to walk around the park while reading a story together.
- GO Grayslake Dog Days of Summer on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 5:30pm at Alleghany Park.
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO Grayslake simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Nominate someone to be the GO Grayslake Walker of the Week! If you have a friend or neighbor who motivates you to keep moving, nominate them to be recognized for their walking prowess on the Grayslake Park District’s social media pages.
- Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO Grayslake t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured on the Grayslake Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
- Find nearby walking events hosted by other GO communities on the GO Lake County website.
TAKE THE SURVEY
If you’ve joined us for a GO Grayslake Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.
TELL ME MORE!
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Dana Olson at email@example.com or (847) 223-7529.