GO Grayslake is a new community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Grayslake Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO Grayslake movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main goal is to get moving!
You can GO Grayslake on your own or join us for one of our upcoming community walks:
- Walking Wednesday – Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 12pm in Central Park.
- Winter Wonderland Walk – Sunday, Dec. 16 from 4-5pm in Central Park. Enjoy a festive stroll with holiday lights and carolers, then visit with Santa at the Performance Pavilion!
Winter Walking Events
Meet at the Recreation Center (240 Commerce Drive) for our winter walking days! We’ll walk outside if it’s a nice day and if it’s too chilly, we’ll walk in the gym.
- GO Grayslake Walking Club – Thursday, Jan. 10 at 10:45am
- GO Grayslake Valetine’s Day Walk – Thursday, Feb. 14 at 10:45am. Walk for your heart health this Valentine’s Day!
- GO Grayslake Walking Club – Thursday, Mar. 14 at 10:45am
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO Grayslake simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO Grayslake t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to email@example.com for a chance to be featured on the Grayslake Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
- Find nearby walking events hosted by other GO communities on the GO Lake County website.
TAKE THE SURVEY
If you’ve joined us for a GO Grayslake Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.
TELL ME MORE!
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Dana Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 223-7529.